9.10.2008

LOTOJA

My family in Jackson Hole the next morning
Support Crew for Casey
An old friend from college was also supporting a rider
My sister in law Jackie and me in Idaho for the first stop


LOTOJA is a bike race from Logan Utah that ends in Jackson Hole Wyoming. This was my Dad 6th year and my 5th year supporting. The race is pretty insane, watching over 1,000 cyclist ride 206 miles in one day. I realize the ride itself is a challenge but driving the support car is also very difficult. The two biggest challenges for driving the support car is first getting to the feed zone in time, finding parking, then making sure the water bottles and food are in the muzet bags and are ready for hand off. Then you stand there for 15 minutes watching for the rider to arrive. The second part that can be difficult is driving on the two lane highway making sure not to hit riders and also avoid the oncoming traffic. I was driving my brother's Ford 150 and that is not a small easy car to drive or park. The truck made it safely to Jackson Hole. This year at mile 80 while I was waiting, my brother John arrived after having a massive crash where he went down and cracked his helmet during the 2 times his head hit the asphalt. He got back up and rode with some bloody knees and road rash on his leg. The most amazing part is that he took 3rd place in his age group and did it in just over 10 hours. He is my hero and I admire him so much. (I have photos but am not posting). This is always my favorite weekend to kick off the fall season. Next year I hope I am ready to do the relay with my two younger brothers. Michael will have returned home from his mission and Brian said he is over riding the whole thing. Team Emmett's are ready to make great time. Time to get back on my bike and starting riding more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment