
I have been thinking a lot about an experience I had this weekend in New York that I feel is blog worthy. Photos and the rest of the weekend are coming soon. It was all in the matter of about 4 minutes that this took place while walking along fifth avenue. Fifth avenue is packed with tourist, taxi's, large building's and the best shopping. I noticed this family of four just a head of me with two young kids, a boy and girl. As everyone stops at the intersection waiting for the green light this family attempts to cross early not really paying close attention. They get half way across and turn around as they see a car approaching the intersection. The light changes and we all cross the street. Once across the father is very angered and I hear him turn to his daughter and yell "Stupid Girl" and my heart just sank.
I am really not sure why he was so mad at her other than I believe she suggested crossing too soon. He grabs his son hand and rushes off leaving his wife and daughter to follow behind who looks about 9. At this point I am near the mother who is trying to explain to her daughter that she is not to tell him what to do as well as consoling her feelings. She was obliviously not doing a good job because she is in tears. If I might add who would not be sad if your own father just called you a "stupid girl". We begin to separate from them and I find myself deep in thought and with a little tear in my eye. I am thinking so many thoughts by now horrible father, poor girl and wife, and who gave him the right to treat her that way. I am trying to pay close attention to everything else going on around me. I am walking with Erin and Aubrey talking to them, listening to this family, trying to watch were I am walking, and looking at everything going on around me. We are on our way to see a hotel and check out more stores and find dinner at this point. My question for you is how often have you been quick to anger at someone you love and respect so dearly? No need to answer this question just remember that we all need to speak a little kinder to each other. Whether it be between husband/wife, parent/child, sibling/sibling and just our friends. I have a great quote from President Hinckley on the matter of being slow to anger.
" Brethren, let us, each of us, watch ourselves. Whenever we have within us a little temper, go outside, breathe some fresh air, and come in with a smile and throw your arms around your wife and tell her you love her. Look to your children and let them know that you love them. Live with them kindly, and graciously, as Latter-day Saints should do."
No comments:
Post a Comment